14/07/2013

Twistleton Scar End walk near Ingleton - quick route for photographers with map to get the best views of this unique Yorkshire Dales landscape


Twistleton scar, photo, walk, ingleton, yorkshire dales
Twistleton Scar End in the Yorkshire Dales is a unique rocky limestone landscape with some isolated weathered & wind battered tree's dotted around which are a photographers dream. 


A quick Twistleton Scar End walk, near Ingleton in the Yorkshire Dales - on a "scouting mission"

This was a really quick walk, on a nice summers day, with the sole aim of checking out Twistleton Scar End for future photo opportunities when the skies and weather is more dramatic and photogenic (but less pleasant!)

Twistleton Scar End makes for some stunning photos and I have saved off some of my favourite images which can be found on another blog post of mine here: View best images of Twistleton Scar End 
My favourite photos were taken in the golden hour around sunset - and around November time when the skies are more dramatic and the sun sets further south and is in the right place behind the weathered trees. On this scouting mission it was a hot summer day with clear blue skies, not particularly photogenic or dramatic - so I only took my compact camera and my photos are just to give a bit of info for anyone else wanting to find out more on Twistleton Scar End in the Yorkshire Dales and take much better photos than those below!


twistleton scar end tree, ingleton, yorkshire dales
The tree's at Twistelton Scar End are pretty weather beaten by the wind and make a great photo subject - you just need to know where to find them. Read on to find out more...


Are you a photographer looking for information on the location of Twistleton Scar End?

For any photographers looking for info on Twistleton Scar End - I  would recommend the quick walk route up to Twisteton Scar End from my recommended parking spot, as you need to be able to get here fast in cold weather or fading light - when the area looks it's most impressive. You can park quite near the south-west end of Twistleton Scar - get up there in about 30 mins and take your photos where the best, most weathered trees are right on the edge of Twistleton Scar End at the south-west end.



There are some excellent photo opportunities and compositions to be had up at Twistleton Scar End, this particular tree is located near the blue arrow on the map below






  

Where to park the car to get close to Twistelton Scar End and the best views:

Twistleton Scar End walk, Ingleton, parking spot, car, trees, best place to park, map, route
The red arrow marks my recommended car parking spot along the narrow road and the blue & green arrows on the map show the most popular trees that are photographed on Twistleton Scar End). To get to the car parking spot - from Thornton Lonsdale just near Ingleton, head up Thornton Lane. From this car parking location - walk south-east on the clearly marked foot path and then head up the path up to Twistleton Scar End.


Twistleton Scar End walk, Ingleton, parking spot, car, trees, best place to park, map, route
Here is a screenshot from Google maps showing the ideal place to park the car to get as close as possible to walk to Twistleton Scar End. As you can see you'll get a handful of cars on the grass here. This spot is also shown on the map above where the red arrow is.


And here are the co-ordinates and location for the car parking spot for quick access to Twistelton Scar end. 


Photos of what to expect on this quick Twistleton Scar End walk in the Yorkshire Dales:



It's a very well marked path from the car parking spot until you then come to this juncture where you will head up the hill to the top of Twistelton Scar End


twistleton scar end walk, ingleton, yorkshire dales
Twistelton Scar End from the path below and that's the place to walk up to


twistleton scar end, ingleton, yorkshire dales
The weatherd limestone comes more into view



We are approaching the top of Twistleton Scar End now and you can see the path just walked along the foot of the hill which goes right to where the car is parked where the path meets the country road



twistleton scar end tree, ingleton, yorkshire dales
The first trees you come across are maybe the most wind weathered ones as they are right on the edge of Twistleton Scar End


twistleton scar end tree, ingleton, yorkshire dales
There's quite a large area to explore the rock formations and the weathered trees


There are some excellent photo opportunities and compositions to be had all around Twistleton Scar End. Many photos I personally like of Twistleton Scar End are of sunsets and moody skies, so it's best to plan these in advance and get up here early as sunsets don't last long.


The limestone pavement's are a distinctive feature of the Yorkshire Dales.


Some tree's seem to survive quite well up here despite the harsh weather



Twistleton Scar is quite a unique place in the Yorkshire Dales and is good to potter about and even bring the kids on a nice day. In this photo you can make out the summit of Ingleborough in the background.


Just don't fall down the cracks or lose your camera :-)


Some of the tree's sit proudly and defiant right on the edge of Twistleton Scar End


Time to head back down to the car





So there you go, I hope this blog post has proved useful in shedding some light on how to do a quick walk up Twistleton Scar End, and where exactly to park the car to give you the shortest and quickest walk which every photographer who has a load of gear to carry in bad weather and fading light might appreciate :-). I'm looking forward to visiting the area again in future to spend a bit more time photographing the place in different weather conditions when the (bad!) weather gives it a whole new atmosphere. I do hope this blog post does help & inspire you to visit the area, as it's a very unique landscape and a photographers dream. 

Thanks for reading! If you have any questions - just post a comment and I'll try and answer. 


Happy hiking!



Post by Stuart Hodgson 
'The Hiking Photographer'


If you enjoyed this blog post you might like to subscribe to my monthly email newsletter to stay up to date with my my outdoor adventures, including my latest photos & blog posts, as well as a whole host of tips & interesting stuff for outdoor enthusiasts, just click the link below.













Not all my adventures & photos end up on this blog.
Give me a follow to see what else I've been up to :-) 



 



SHARE:

8 comments

  1. Thank you Stuart!!

    I went there last Sunday... a bit last minute, and I never would have gone if I had not stumbled on your directions. I had a perfect afternoon/evening during a thunderstorm... no blue sky ;-)

    Three shots, as requested:

    https://plus.google.com/u/0/118340132086483099005/posts/F7iDL3WmgX9

    https://plus.google.com/u/0/118340132086483099005/posts/dGz5H5gUrM4

    https://plus.google.com/u/0/118340132086483099005/posts/freNmi7uZdd

    Again - thank you very much for the directions - saved my day ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you've got some quality compositions there. Amazing how much the weather conditions change the atmosphere of the place - I hope to go up again whenever I'm in the area and get some moodier shots. Glad the blog post helped you out - i couldn't find much information on twistleton walks/routes before I visited - so thought i'd share a quick route for the photographers amongst us :)

    Here is a link to another blog of mine - which shows a couple of photos which inspired me to visit the place - no doubt lots more brilliant pics of twistleton kicking about - its a very photogenic place
    http://nature-landscape-photography.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/yorkshire-dales-landscape-photography.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Outstanding picture there... incredible light and composition. The photographer has obviously got more discipline than me.... waking up quite early ;)

    I really like the idea behind the blog, and I have bookmarked it.... but it's killing me at the same time, looking at all that beauty! The green eyed monster and all that ;)

    Just out of curiosity - are all the pictures taken in the UK?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeh some good pics of Twistleton Scar there and I'm sure there are lots more out there that I haven't seen. My faves tend to be in the golden hour - just before or after sunrise/sunset - so you've got to either sacrifice a bit of sleep to get up early - or walk down in the dark - I've done both a few times - and looking back - the sacrifice is definitely worth it if you get some stunning pics :-)

    I know what you mean with the blog and other peoples photos - on one hand you are really impressed with what people capture and the places they see - then a little bit of you wishes you had similar photos in your own collection. I tend though just use other peoples images as inspiration - try and learn from them and analyse whats good about them - and try and become a better photographer because of it. What i do do though is whenever I come across a landscape that just looks an amazing place - I try and find out where it was and add is the list of places I would love to see and photograph. It's a big list - but I've got a lifetime to do it - keeps me inspired and motivated and looking forward to visiting new places - and I guess I never want to get to the point where I have been & photographed everywhere I want to go (and revisit) because if that tiem come it would be time to put away the camera :-( As for where the photos are taken - most are in the Uk I think - but there are others from around the world. If one pic catches your eye - try and follow up that particular photographers website and no doubt you will find the photo/location you like. One place I come across recently that I would love to visit/photograph is from Elgol on the Isle of Skye - looking towards the Cullin Range. If you google elgol - you will find some stunning photos and stunning landscapes :-) It's high on my list to visit now

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Stuart! Great blog. Really helpful.

    We were there 2 months ago (we’re photographers from Tenerife). We took the long walk up. It took us almost 3 hours to get there. We’re going again in May, with other spanish photographers and will certainly use your helpful information to get there in time for dawn (that’s what we wanted last time).

    If you have them, could you post the coordinates to both the parking spots you recommend, so as to not get lost, as we are not familiar with the area, and our GPS didn’t help too much last time we were there. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi - glad you found it useful. I have added the coordinates of the 2 parking spots to the end of my blog post as others might find them of use (the coordinates are inserted as a screen shot from bing.com/maps (ordnance survey option - which is very very useful for people like me to plan walks. If you are searching on maps yourself - search for Ingleton, Yorkshire and you should be able to find the spots to the north of Ingleton.

      Delete
  6. Hello Stuart,
    Do you know a way up to the area south east of the dry stone wall that intersects the ‘i’ and ‘s’ in the word Twistleton Scar End on your last map please?
    I’ve been up there this afternoon (ridiculously windy!) and just couldn’t find a way over the wall and couldn’t locate a stile either. I have been over the wall and on the other side in snow in December and January 2017 but I think the wall must have been repaired since then.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David - it’s been a while since I was up there - the wall may indeed have been altered - although the official footpath routes should still remain?

      Delete

Thanks for taking an interest in my blog, all comments and questions are welcome! Best, Stuart

Blog Design Created by pipdig